Powered by Blogger.

REVIEW: INTO THE WATER BY PAULA HAWKINS



Goodreads Rating 4 out of 5 stars.

Synopsis:
"In the last days before her death, Nel called her sister. Jules didn’t pick up the phone, ignoring her plea for help. Now Nel is dead. They say she jumped. And Jules has been dragged back to the one place she hoped she had escaped for good, to care for the teenage girl her sister left behind. But Jules is afraid. So afraid. Of her long-buried memories, of the old Mill House, of knowing that Nel would never have jumped. And most of all she’s afraid of the water, and the place they call the Drowning Pool . . ."

It took me forever to read this book. Almost two months. Shameful. But the Part One didn't grab my attention. And it wasn't until I forced myself to read this book and got past Part One, that I started to enjoy it. I, also, particularly enjoy how everything comes to a neat end. (Gone Girl, why couldn't you come to a sufficient ending?). It is a thriller, (i think), and explores the story around Nel, Katie & Lauren's suspicious deaths. It explores domestic abuse, sexual assault, death (duh), family life, teenagers, and everything else. Although it explores some triggering subjects, it's not too deep and doesn't go into anything graphic - don't feel like the book is based around abuse - although, if you don't feel like you can handle it, please don't read it. 

The part of the review with spoilers...
.
.
.

stop reading if you don't want spoilers...
.
.
.
last chance...
.
.
.
OK...
.
.
.

Firstly, Patrick Townsend makes me want to be sick. His language. His presence. His manipulation. I just can't believe how much I hated it. And from early on in the book. He's everything I hate in one person. Sexist. Homophobic. Rude. Racist (probably). A first-class a-hole. 
Secondly, the only part it leaves hanging is Mark Henderson's death. Do they find him? What happens in the moments directly after? Does Lena get found out? I. Need. To. Know.
Thirdly, I realised I have more questions, does Lena find out who her Dad is? Does she meet Robbie? Does she even want to meet Robbie?
Fourthly, I want a book, say 10 years in the future, and to find out what everyone does afterwards? Does Sean come clean? Where does Sean go? How is Helen? Are the Whittakers living a more peaceful life? Has Lena moved back? I just want the future.

xx

No comments