Powered by Blogger.

REVIEW: Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella



I wrote this review waaaay back in July, forgot about it, rediscovered it, and am now posting it. 

Synopsis: "After being together for ten years, Sylvie and Dan have a comfortable home, fulfilling jobs, beautiful twin girls, and communicate so seamlessly, they finish each other's sentences. They have a happy marriage and believe they know everything there is to know about each other. Until it's casually mentioned to them that they could be together for another sixty-eight years... and panic sets in.
They quickly decide to create little surprises for each other, to keep their relationship fresh and fun. But in their pursuit of Project Surprise Me - anything from unexpected gifts to restaurant dates to photo shoots - mishaps arise with disastrous and comical results. 
Gradually, the surprises turn to shocking discoveries. And when a scandal from the past is uncovered, they begin to wonder if they ever really knew each other after all..."

This book feels different from Kinsella's other work. The twist is darker than expected, and nowhere near as fluffy as her other novels. 


I gave this book 3 of out of 5 stars on Goodreads (link to my profile here). And overall, I did enjoy the book. 

HOWEVER, if you had told me the twist was going to be darker - I would've been really interested in the book. But, in reality, I found the twist lacking because it took SO long for the twist to come and for anything exciting to happen. The first 200-ish pages were a bit naff. The last 150 had me hooked though! 

The basic plot of the story:
The story is based around Sylvie (side note: Sylvia is one of my favourite names) who is married to Dan, and they have twin girls together. An event happens that causes them to question the longevity of their lives and relationship. There is a load of secrets between them, which leads to the main story and twist. 

I bought the book for less than £4 in Asda. And do not regret buying it, nor reading it. But if you've never read Sophie Kinsella this is not the book I would recommend you read first. But if you're a Sophie Kinsella fan, then go for it!

xx

No comments