Powered by Blogger.

June Wrap Up

A fairly book heavy month for June. Starting off my summer reading list and also making my way through some of my books in my recent book haul.

I started off the month working my through The Hunger Games Trilogy, after thoroughly enjoying The Hunger Games I went onto reading Catching Fire and Mockingjay. Both were wonderful. I'm not 100% about the ending of the trilogy, I struggle with endings, but I can see why it ended the way it did and can understand why this is a good way for many. I had seen the films before reading the books, although I only saw them once and I felt that I gave myself enough time to distance myself from the book and the film. I have previously written a review on The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (here), but let me know if you would be interested in a more in-depth review of the trilogy!

The Girl on the Train has been on my TBR list for over a year, and I never got around to reading and always found books to read over it. I had been recommended it by others and after the film came out last year, I finally bought myself a copy of the book. I imagined the book to be along the same lines as Gone Girl (which I believe was published around the same time), I'm not a massive lover of thrillers, but this one was really good! I read it in about a day. It took me a few chapters to initially get into the storyline though, so plow through the first part and you'll start receiving the information you need. This is the kind of thriller where you get given a heap of random information, which makes no sense at all, until the end when something clicks and the whole thing makes sense again. I wrote a book review (here) straight after I read the book, so head over there for fresher review of The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. 

After that, I wanted to read something more light-hearted and in the form of a YA fiction. Step in, Girl Online by Zoe Sugg. I had no desire to read this book before buying it, I only bought it because I saw it for a £1 in the charity store. I was skeptical about the YouTubers book, and although it wasn't groundbreaking literature. It was enjoyable. I'm not desperate to read the other books in the series, but if the opportunity came up... I think I would read more of Sugg's books. 

A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen; I have been meaning to read this book since I bought The Girl on the Train last year. I bought them at the same time on Tesco's 2 for £7 book offer and left them both on my bookshelf for the past year. I wasn't sure about this book while I was reading it, it was a charming and enjoyable book, but there was no 'end goal' with the writing. Bowen has written more books about his furry companion, Bob. If you get the opportunity it wouldn't be a waste of time to read the book, but I wasn't too keen on how negative Bowen is about dogs (specifically staffies). 

Lyrebird by Cecelia Ahern, I bought this after reading Megan's review of it (here). I'm not sure what I expected from the story, but it wasn't what I was expecting. Altogether a decent read, took me a couple of days. Not a difficult book to follow. 

The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I've seen the film, once, and I did enjoy watching the film. It was a nice film, nothing too revolutionary and I haven't seen it since. But it's the kind of film that I would put on if I saw it on TV one day. So, I went into reading this book knowing what was going to happen. Which perhaps may have already guided my view on the book, but it may have been similar if I had read the book before seeing the film. I wasn't too bothered because I watched the film in early 2015. I have got a dedicated review of this coming out soon though, so keep your eyes peeled for that one!

- K.B

No comments