Powered by Blogger.

Review: The fault in our stars by john green

Apologies if these immediate reviews are annoying and poorly written. Most of the time I like to let a book settle until I write about it, but sometimes I'm in the position to write immediately after. So here I am...

Side note: I'm writing this on a Wednesday evening while someone blasts Wonderwall out in the evening sun. Pleasant writing conditions. 


The Fault in our Stars by John Green

I've already seen the film, I knew what was going to happen. I expected to be disappointed by the book, in fact. It took me a while to read, perhaps because I knew the ending or because I was enjoying it too much to read? 

One of the reasons I enjoy this book is because part of it takes place Amsterdam, which is one of my favourite cities and I was able to imagine everything so clearly. Every room in Anne Frank's house, the streets of Amsterdam. Wonderful. 

It also made me confront death. I've never experienced the death of a loved one. I've had pets die, which did upset me, naturally. The last family member who passed away was my Grandad, I was only 18months old and I have the fussiest and vaguest memories of that time. I've counted my lucky stars that I've never had to deal with the death of a loved one, but at 21 I'm sure it's going to be a shock when it does happen... eventually. The point in me rambling about death is how The Fault in our Stars deals with a death and, for me, it didn't feel like they had truly died. I was struck by how I didn't feel as though they had died. Was it because they were a fictional character? Because I've never dealt with death? Because the character was continuously being spoken about afterwards? Because they're still in your memory to live on? I don't know. I'm just rambling about a thought that I had.

Overall, I enjoyed the book though. I'm not sure if I'm in a rush to read it again. Although I do want to watch the film again. Mostly to be annoying and compare the book to the film. 

Have you read The Fault in our Stars? If so, let me know what you thought about it. I'm interested to hear other people's opinions of it. I'm wondering if I read it in too much of a positive light and in reality, it could be a poorly written novel. 

- K.B

1 comment

  1. I loved this book!! I read it ages ago, before the film even came out, so when the film did come out, I was annoyed how they cut certain things out. Then again, the film is never as good as the book!!

    ReplyDelete