Powered by Blogger.

REVIEW: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Spoiler: I bloody loved this book! And I'm so glad I chose a YA fiction book to get back into reading with.


Synopsis: "Cath and Wren are identical twins and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be on half of a pair anymore - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She would rather bury herself in the fanfiction she writes where there's romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life. Now has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realising that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible... A tale of fan fiction, family and first love."

Goodreads Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!

Firstly, I related so much to Cath when she was first moving to uni. I was terrified of everything and everyone! I didn't have a roommate, but I also wasn't in a shared flat, and it was so easy to cut yourself away from everyone else. Most of my friends came from my course, or people I knew before uni from going to a college in the same city. So, it wasn't all bad. However, I think so many people will relate to Cath's anxiety and feelings towards her experiences at uni. 

That being said, I would've loved to have had a couple of chapters from Wren's point of view. She's meant to be having the complete opposite views, but it would've made her seem more human (to me as a reader) if I had been able to read and see struggles that she might've been going through. 

There are snippets from another story throughout, a fanfiction that Cath writes based on a made-up children book series called "Simon Snow and the..." (philosopher's stone?). I didn't love this style to start with, it annoyed me and I don't want to read anything aside from the story at hand. BUT the Simon Snow series is such a big part of Cath, and her story, that I can see why it was done and appreciate the reasons why Rainbow Rowell included them. (They're only short and don't 'really' change the way you'll be reading the book.)

I have one problem with the book, and perhaps I was reading it wrong, but sometimes to the placement of characters were slightly off and if you were paying real attention to following the characters moves (in the scenes) they didn't always match up. However, this is me being picky and fussy, and wanting the perfect book. 

Overall, if you enjoy YA fiction books - you'll enjoy Fanfiction! 

xx


No comments